The purpose of this training course is to introduce the trainee to the truck-mounted knuckleboom crane and how to operate it safely. The content of this course is focused upon the Hiab model 200C-3 which has a rated load capacity of 7000 kilograms (15,432 pounds), but the principles it covers can be applied to many makes of knuckleboom cranes.
- Lesson 1 covers general safety, including how to keep a logbook, maintenance requirements, "work area" controls, hazardous conditions to be aware of, and items to consider before making the final lift decision.
- Lesson 2 highlights the main components of the Hiab 200C-3, which is typical of many knuckleboom cranes. At the end of the lesson, trainees will be able to identify the structure, the base, the outrigger legs and extensions, boom sections, the basic hydraulic system, and the control valves and cylinders.
- Lesson 3 explains machine control levers that are found on the crane. Trainees are also taught how to properly engage and set the PTO for crane operation. They'll be able to identify the location of the controls that operate both the crane functions and the outrigger extensions, as well as describe the function of each lever found on the control valve block.
- Lesson 4 details the pre-use inspection of the crane typically required by occupational safety and health agencies before operation is permitted. This lesson discusses the process step-by-step.
- Lesson 5 is about lift preparation. Careful planning of each lift is critical to its safety and success. This lesson covers lift communication, what a lift plan is, truck positioning, unfolding the crane, and load weight. Load charts are also explained using examples, which makes them easy to understand.
- Lesson 6 shows trainees the various steps to consider at each phase of a lift. Specific requirements are covered, as well as explanations of lifting accessories, the use of a spotter, tag lines, testing the lift and moving the load.
- Lesson 7 shows what to do when it's time to pack-up and move on to the next lifting task.