An interactive tool for determination of true dip from apparent dip, or vice versa, on a vertical section.
Notes on Geology - True Dip and Apparent Dip
- Tool determines true dip from apparent dip on a vertical section, or vice versa.
- To calculate True Dip, set Select Calculation to "true dip" and define Apparent Dip, Section Azimuth and Dip Azimuth.
- To calculate Apparent Dip, set Select Calculation to "apparent dip" and define Section Azimuth, Dip Azimuth and True Dip.
- 0 < Apparent Dip < 90 degrees (+ve down from horizontal)
- 0 < Section Azimuth < 360 degrees (+ve clockwise from North)
- 0 < Dip Azimuth < 360 degrees (+ve clockwise from North)
- 0 < True Dip < 90 degrees (+ve down from horizontal)
Values displayed with a may be changed ... click on a value to display an entry form ... or use the arrows right of a value to select from a list.
This tool exhibits spreadsheet-like behaviour ... change a value and related values are re-calculated automatically.