An interactive tool for determination of peak particle velocity (PPV) for a given charge, distance and site parameters for assessment of vibration damage potential.
Notes on Bench Blasting - Peak Particle Velocity (PPV) for Assessment of Structural Damage Potential
- This tool determines peak particle velocity (PPV) for specified values of explosive charge, distance and site factors.
- Select Blast Type to set a range of typical values for the site factors k and b for different types of blast. Site-specific values for k and b should be determined by onsite measurement.
- Select Blast Type = "site-specific" to enter particular values of k and b.
- Enter a value for Charge W, the weight (kg) of explosive per blast delay.
- Enter a value for Distance R, the distance (m) for determination of PPV.
- PPV vs Scaled Distance S is a log:log plot displaying the relationship of PPV to S for the current values of k and b.
- PPV = 50 mm/s is the recommended threshold for potential damage to structures.
Neither EduMine nor the authors of this tool accept responsibility for the results of tool usage. For a detailed discussion of the estimation of blast damage potential see the EduMine course Blast Design and Assessment for Surface Mines and Quarries.
Values displayed with a may be changed ... click on a value to display an entry form ... or use the arrows right of a value to select from a list.
This tool exhibits spreadsheet-like behaviour ... change a value and related values are re-calculated automatically.