An interactive tool for determination of maximum charge, or minimum distance, for a selected threshold value of peak particle velocity (PPV), given appropriate values of site-specific parameters.
Notes on Bench Blasting - Blast Parameters for a Specified Vibration Threshold
- This tool determines the maximum explosive charge for a specified distance, or the minimum distance for a specified charge, for a selected threshold value of peak particle velocity (PPV), given appropriate values of site-specific factors.
- Select Analysis Type to set the analysis objective.
- Select PPV Threshold to set PPV to the recommended minimum value for either human "discomfort" or structural "damage"; select "specified" to enter a particular PPV value.
- Enter appropriate values for the site-specific factors k and b; generally determined by onsite measurement
- If Analysis Type = "max. charge" then enter a value (m) for Distance R ... the maximum allowable explosive charge per delay is calculated.
- If Analysis Type = "min. distance" then enter a value (kg) for charge W ... the minimum allowable distance is calculated.
- Charge W vs Distance R is a log:log plot displaying the relationship of W to R for the selected PPV Threshold and specified values of k and b.
Neither EduMine nor the authors of this tool accept responsibility for the results of tool usage. For a detailed discussion of blast vibration see the EduMine course Blast Design and Assessment for Surface Mines and Quarries.
Values displayed with a may be changed ... click on a value to display an entry form ... or use the arrows right of a value to select from a list.
This tool exhibits spreadsheet-like behaviour ... change a value and related values are re-calculated automatically.