The value and usefulness of a machined part depend, above all, on the exactness of its dimensions. Measuring instruments are used to check the precision of dimensions. The purpose of this instruction is to familiarize learners with the basic principles of the description, use, and maintenance of the most widely used measuring instruments.
This course covers the basic principles of precision, errors and tolerances, how to identify and measure the dimensions of machine parts, and how to choose and use appropriate measuring instruments.
Topics covered in this course include:
- basic principles of measurement,
- measuring instruments and their uses,
- precision instruments and their uses,
- instruments used for checking,
- measurement errors, and
- suggestions for practical exercises.