Maintenance mechanics must be able to estimate the weight of the parts that they have to handle, make sure the capacities of the lifting devices and accessories are not exceeded, signal correctly the different commands used in lifting, and inspect lifting equipment.
This course covers the different types of lifting and handling devices; how to estimate the weight to be lifted and the capacities of cables and chains; how to lift, move, and set down heavy parts in accordance with safety standards; and the description of lifting, moving and rotation mechanisms and commands, as well as the safety devices associated with each piece of equipment.
Topics covered in this course include:
- rigging and lifting gear and their uses,
- types of slings and their uses,
- overhead travelling hoists,
- assessment of load weights,
- sling configurations,
- standard hand signals,
- protection of slings,
- inspection of lifting equipment, and
- suggestions for practical exercises.