Chains are flexible metal machine components used to transmit power between two (2) parallel shafts located at a distance from one another. Chain drives can tolerate worse operating conditions than belt drives can.
This course covers the different categories of chains and sprockets, the principles of chain drives, the assembly and disassembly of a chain drive system, and the operating problems with chain drive systems as well as their causes and corrective procedures.
Topics covered in this course include:
- types of chains and their uses;
- types of sprockets and their uses;
- chain drive systems;
- assembly and disassembly techniques;
- causes of malfunction;
- preventive maintenance, inspection, and chain tension; and
- suggestions for practical exercises.