This one-day workshop is part of an Edumine blended learning program that integrates online learning with classroom sessions by industry specialists.
The aim of this workshop is to work through the development of financial models for strategic evaluation of representative projects and commodities at the prefeasibility stage. The workshop will demonstrate how the underlying technical and financial principles, as presented in the short course Valuation of Mineral Projects, influence the way a financial model is constructed. Particular attention will be given to the treatment of key independent variables, such as grade, and dependent variables, such as grade-tonnage relationships, and the way these influence the rate of mining, associated costs and optimisation of the net present value of a project.
The workshop is organised by IC Fineval Ltd. (London, UK), an Imperial College start-up company, and Edumine, the Professional Development Division of InfoMine Inc. (Vancouver, BC, Canada).
This workshop is optionally available as part of a discounted package with the preceding three-day short course Valuation of Mineral Projects and provides an excellent opportunity to consolidate the knowledge gained during this course.
Prior to the workshop, registered delegates have access to online e-learning material consisting of an introductory course titled An Introduction to Modelling Metal Project Finance. This provides valuable background knowledge which is an essential for the workshop.
In the workshop, use will be made of the IC-MinEval software. An IC-MinEval licence will be made available to participants for the two weeks immediately prior to the course.
This provides participants with the option to independently develop models of their own and bring these to the workshop where they will be subject to review and sensitivity analysis. Participants who wish to develop their own models and submit these to the workshop may do so at the discretion of the presenter.
Participants will be expected to have their own laptop computers available for the workshop. Wireless Internet access will be provided during the workshop.
Participants will be able to retain disc copies of the spreadsheets that they generate during the course. IC-MinEval is an Excel-based spreadsheet programme which automates all stages required to produce models of a wide range of mineral projects. It produces a Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss account from the cash flows, with tax provisions linked to the Profit and Loss account.
Output modules include the base case discount cash flows, as well as key financial ratios and performance indicators such as NPV, IRR payback and maximum cash exposure. Sensitivity analysis can be undertaken on key variables.
Certificate in Mining Studies
This course qualifies for one day of short course credit for the Certificate in Mining Studies (CMS), a continuing education program of accredited short courses, webcasts and online courses for lifelong learning in mining, supported by University of British Columbia, University of Arizona and University of Concepción. more details »
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Registered participants who attend the entire short course and complete an evaluation at the end of the course will receive a Certificate of Attendance, confirming the Professional Development Hours (PDH)/Continuing Education Units (CEU) earned. Please confirm with your employer and/or professional association that this course qualifies for CPD.
Who Should Attend?
The workshop will be of particular interest to mining analysts, fund and asset managers, bankers, development planning engineers, exploration managers and other specialists in the valuation of mineral projects.
The workshop provides an excellent opportunity for those who have attended the course Valuation of Mineral Projects in the past to consolidate their knowledge.
Instruction will take place from 9:00AM to 5:00PM, with a lunch break from 1:00PM to 2:00PM and 15 minute snack breaks in mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
How to Register
To register yourself, click the ‘Register Now’ button and complete the online registration form.
To register on behalf of someone else, or to register groups of 2 or more, please contact us; discounts may apply.
Questions? Please contact Edumine: +1 604 683 2037 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time.
Participants are expected to have their own laptop computers available for this course.
The full fee for the one day workshop is CAD 700. The fee covers the lecture, a comprehensive set of course notes, access to Edumine, use of IC-MinEval software, sandwich lunches and light refreshments. The fee does not cover accommodation.
Early Bird: there is a 10% discount if you register at least 30 days prior to the course start date. A 10% discount is offered for groups of 5 or more OR if you provide your Annual Edumine subscription User ID at time of registration. The maximum discount that can be applied is 20%.
The course will be held at InfoMine Inc, Vancouver, Canada, Suite 640 - 580 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC. Detailed arrival instructions will be sent to all participants 10-14 days prior to the commencement of the course.
If you need to make hotel reservations, we recommend the following hotels. Each hotel is within a 5-15 minute walking distance of the course venue and provides convenient access to transportation and 'Canada Line' rapid transit to/from Vancouver International Airport.
When making reservations make sure to ask for the "InfoMine corporate rate".
- Executive Hotel Le Soleil, named by Resorts & Great Hotels Magazine as "One of the Top 100 Hotels in the World," has been recipient of the American Automobile Association's (AAA) 4-Diamond rating since its opening. Executive Hotel Le Soleil differentiates itself with a unique mixture of stylish sophistication and old world elegance. Featuring 119 luxury boutique lodging accommodations, it is conveniently located across the street from the InfoMine/Edumine offices. Experience Copper Chimney restaurant's award winning chefs and enter into an exotic world of Indian fusion food.
The Hotel Le Soleil's website is: http://www.hotellesoleil.com.
- Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver: make yourself at home in one of the Metropolitan Hotel's 197 elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites. Enjoy the Metropolitan's 24-hour Business Center; fully-equipped Health Club with indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, and squash court; and the Diva at the Met restaurant, a AAA 4-Diamond rated restaurant featuring Vancouver's finest cuisine, celebrated Chef's table, and distinguished wine cellar. The Metropolitan has received a "4 Green Keys" rating through the Green Key Eco-Rating Program.
To book your room online with our personal InfoMine corporate rate link go to: http://private.metropolitan.com/VDZKNSEDL2.
The Metropolitan Hotel's website is: http://www.metropolitan.com/vanc/.
- Vancouver’s most art-full hotel, the Listel Hotel is a cultural tourist’s dream and a showcase for eco-friendly practices. Packed with original art, this 129 room boutique hotel boasts comfortable, contemporary furnishings and a perfect location in the West End, the city’s most eclectic shopping and dining neighbourhood. The hotel is also home to Forage, a pioneer in sustainable restaurant operations and home to Chef Chris Whittaker’s award-winning farm-to-table fare. Forage is known for its small plate dining and BC wine and craft beer on tap.
The Listel Hotel's website is: http://www.thelistelhotel.com.
- Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel: experience the modern comforts of the historic full-service business hotel located in the core of downtown Vancouver. Their West Coast hospitality will ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Discover true value at the Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel as they provide FREE Wireless Internet, Bottled Water / Tea & Small Business Center. InfoMine’s corporate rate includes $10.00 breakfast voucher, best available room at check-in, Day Pass to Health and Fitness Centre around the corner.
The Days Inn Downtown's website is: http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/.
For further information about hotels in Downtown Vancouver, see the following website: http://www.hotels-vancouver.ca/hotels/Downtown.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a short course registration form, you agree to pay the associated fees in full before the course start date.
Notice of cancellation must be given in writing by letter, fax or email and action will be taken to recover, from the delegates or their employers, that portion of the fee owing at the time of cancellation.
A 10% administration fee will be levied for cancellations made 4 or more weeks prior to the first day of the course. Thereafter, the following cancellation refund schedule will apply.
- Cancellation made more than 3 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: 70% of the registration fee is reimbursed.
- Cancellation made more than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: 50% of the registration fee is reimbursed.
- Cancellation made less than 2 weeks prior to the first day of the short course: no reimbursement of registration fees.
Edumine reserves the right to cancel an advertised course on short notice. It will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible, but will not accept liability for costs incurred by participants or their organisations as a result of the course being cancelled or postponed. If a course is cancelled, fees will be refunded in full. Edumine also reserves the right to postpone or make such alterations to the content of a course as may be necessary.