Practical Geostatistics: as the name suggests, this course takes interested students from no knowledge of statistics or geostatistics to understanding the mysteries of ordinary kriging and its variants in 24 hours. This is a classroom course and includes manual exercises to reinforce understanding of the techniques.
This course is three days long, and composed of lectures augmented by practical PC/laptop-based exercises covering many different applications. This course is designed to complement the EduMine online course and access to EduMine is provided as part of the registration.
Geostatistics is the name given to a particular group of techniques which model spatial processes and allow estimation of values at unsampled locations. Geostatistical estimation is a two stage process:
- studying the gathered data to establish the predictability of values from place to place in the study area; and
- estimating values at those locations which have not been sampled. This process is known as 'kriging'.
In mining, geostatistics is extensively used in the field of reserve valuation - the estimation of grades and other parameters from a relatively small set of borehole or other samples. Originally developed in mining, geostatistics is now widely used in many other fields. Obviously there are geological and geographical applications. However, the techniques are also used in such diverse fields as hydrology, ground water and air pollution, soil science and agriculture, forestry, epidemiology and weather prediction.
This course is aimed at any professionals dealing with the estimation from or interpolation between samples collected on a spatial basis. This is not a course for specialist geostatisticians but intended rather for those who wish to use geostatistics to enhance their practical applications or research.
No prior knowledge of statistics or geostatistics is assumed. A minimum of mathematics is necessary to explain the techniques - mainly simple algebra, up to understanding the concepts behind solving simple sets of simultaneous equations and differentiating x². Questions and discussions are actively encouraged and, indeed, form the basis of a successful course.
Participants are advised to bring a laptop computer.
Prior to the course, registered delegates have access to online e-learning material consisting of an introductory course titled Practical Geostatistics 2000 - 2: Spatial Statistics.
Certificate in Mining Studies
This course qualifies for three days of short course credit for the Certificate in Mining Studies (CMS), a continuing education program of accredited short courses, webcasts and online courses for lifelong learning in mining, supported by University of British Columbia, University of Arizona and University of Concepción. more details »
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Registered participants who attend the entire short course and complete an evaluation at the end of the course will receive a Certificate of Attendance, confirming the Professional Development Hours (PDH)/Continuing Education Units (CEU) earned. Please confirm with your employer and/or professional association that this course qualifies for CPD.
Who Should Attend?
The course is aimed at geologists, mining engineers, surveyors, biologists, agriculturalists, statisticians, environmentalists and any other professionals dealing with the estimation from or interpolation between samples collected on a spatial basis.
How to Register
To register yourself, click the ‘Register Now’ button and complete the online registration form.
To register on behalf of someone else, or to register groups of 2 or more, please contact us; discounts may apply.
Questions? Please contact EduMine: +1 604 683 2037 or [email protected] and we will get back to you during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time.
The fee covers the lecture, access to Pre-Course e-Learning, a certificate of attendance, and catered breakfasts and lunches including light refreshments. The fee does not cover accommodation.
Early Bird: there is a 10% discount if you register at least 30 days prior to the course start date. A 10% discount is offered for groups of 3 or more OR if you provide your Annual EduMine subscription User ID at time of registration. The maximum discount that can be applied is 20%.
The course will be held at InfoMine Inc, Vancouver, Canada, Suite 640 - 580 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC. Detailed arrival instructions will be sent to all participants 10-14 days prior to the commencement of the course.
If you need to make hotel reservations, we recommend the following hotels. Each hotel is within a 5-15 minute walking distance of the course venue and provides convenient access to transportation and 'Canada Line' rapid transit to/from Vancouver International Airport.
When making reservations make sure to ask for the "InfoMine corporate rate".
- Executive Hotel Le Soleil, named by Resorts & Great Hotels Magazine as "One of the Top 100 Hotels in the World," has been recipient of the American Automobile Association's (AAA) 4-Diamond rating since its opening. Executive Hotel Le Soleil differentiates itself with a unique mixture of stylish sophistication and old world elegance. Featuring 119 luxury boutique lodging accommodations, it is conveniently located across the street from the InfoMine/EduMine offices. Experience Copper Chimney restaurant's award winning chefs and enter into an exotic world of Indian fusion food.
The Hotel Le Soleil's website is: http://www.hotellesoleil.com.
- Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver: make yourself at home in one of the Metropolitan Hotel's 197 elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites. Enjoy the Metropolitan's 24-hour Business Center; fully-equipped Health Club with indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, and squash court; and the Diva at the Met restaurant, a AAA 4-Diamond rated restaurant featuring Vancouver's finest cuisine, celebrated Chef's table, and distinguished wine cellar. The Metropolitan has received a "4 Green Keys" rating through the Green Key Eco-Rating Program.
The Metropolitan Hotel's website is: http://www.metropolitan.com/vanc/.
- Vancouver’s most art-full hotel, the Listel Hotel is a cultural tourist’s dream and a showcase for eco-friendly practices. Packed with original art, this 129 room boutique hotel boasts comfortable, contemporary furnishings and a perfect location in the West End, the city’s most eclectic shopping and dining neighbourhood. The hotel is also home to Forage, a pioneer in sustainable restaurant operations and home to Chef Chris Whittaker’s award-winning farm-to-table fare. Forage is known for its small plate dining and BC wine and craft beer on tap.
The Listel Hotel's website is: http://www.thelistelhotel.com.
- Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel: experience the modern comforts of the historic full-service business hotel located in the core of downtown Vancouver. Their West Coast hospitality will ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Discover true value at the Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel as they provide FREE Wireless Internet, Bottled Water / Tea & Small Business Center. InfoMine’s corporate rate includes $10.00 breakfast voucher, best available room at check-in, Day Pass to Health and Fitness Centre around the corner.
The Days Inn Downtown's website is: http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/.
- The Delta Vancouver Suites is a 225 all-suite property designed with business travel in mind. Centrally located in the Heritage District of downtown Vancouver, the hotel is just one block from Waterfront Station, the main hub of the Canada Line providing convenient and economical transportation to/from the Vancouver International Airport. The hotel is in close proximity to many corporate offices, the Vancouver Convention Centre and government offices making business connections easy. Attractions such as Rogers Arena and BC Place Stadium and neighborhoods including Gastown, home to many of the best restaurants Vancouver has to offer are all a short walk away.
The Delta Vancouver Suites' website is: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yvrdv-delta-hotels-vancouver-suites/.
For further information about hotels in Downtown Vancouver, see the following website: http://www.hotels-vancouver.ca/hotels/Downtown.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a short course registration form, you agree to pay the associated fees in full before the course start date.
Notice of cancellation must be given in writing by letter, fax or email and action will be taken to recover, from the delegates or their employers, that portion of the fee owing at the time of cancellation.
A 10% administration fee will be levied for cancellations made 10 or more business days prior to the first day of the course. Cancellations thereafter will be liable for the loss of the full fee.
EduMine reserves the right to cancel an advertised course on short notice. It will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible, but will not accept liability for costs incurred by participants or their organisations as a result of the course being cancelled or postponed. If a course is cancelled, fees will be refunded in full. EduMine also reserves the right to postpone or make such alterations to the content of a course as may be necessary.