This course presents an overview of the design process for open pit slopes. The first day of the course begins with a description and review of the fundamentals of slope design and then progresses from field data collection and QA/QC techniques through to the development of the individual component models that are used to define the geotechnical model. The second day of the course explores different slope design methods and considerations, and presents typical slope monitoring and management techniques to evaluate the behavior and performance of the applied slope designs, and finishes with a discussion on best practices for optimization of the slope designs.
Specific examples of the various processes, analyses, design assessments and interpretation of monitoring data will be presented and discussed throughout the course.
Prior to the course, registered delegates have access to the online e-learning material consisting of two introductory courses in English, titled Guidelines for Open Pit Slope Design 1 - Fundamentals and Data Collection and Guidelines for Open Pit Slope Design 2 - Modelling.
Certificate in Mining Studies
This course qualifies for two days of short course credit for the Certificate in Mining Studies (CMS), a continuing education program of accredited short courses, webcasts and online courses for lifelong learning in mining, supported by University of British Columbia, University of Arizona and University of Concepción. more details »
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Registered participants who attend the entire short course and complete an evaluation at the end of the course will receive a Certificate of Attendance, confirming the Professional Development Hours (PDH)/Continuing Education Units (CEU) earned. Please confirm with your employer and/or professional association that this course qualifies for CPD.
Who Should Attend?
This course is aimed at geologists, mining and geological engineers and technicians, and any other professionals involved in the process of data collection, design, monitoring and ongoing management of open pit slopes who wish to expand their understanding of the fundamentals and considerations in open pit slope design. This is not a detailed design course, but attendees should have a basic background in rock mechanics and experience in feasibility stage projects or operating open pit mines.
Instruction will take place from 9:00am to 5:00pm each day, with a lunch break from 12.30pm to 1:30pm and 15 minute snack breaks in mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
The course includes the following topics:
Fundamentals of Slope Design
- Terminology of Slope Design
- Slope Design Process
- Design Implementation
- Performance Evaluation and Monitoring
Data Collection and QA/QC
- Mapping Techniques
- Core Drilling and Logging
- Sample Collection and Testing
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC)
- Data Management
Modeling, Techniques and Calibration
- Geological Model
- Structural Model
- Rock Mass Model
- Hydrogeological Model
- Geotechnical Model
Slope Design Methods
- Slope Design Considerations
- Design Sectors
- Empirical Design
- Kinematic Analysis
- Limit Equilibrium
- Numerical Modeling
- Stability / Acceptance Criteria
- Types of Monitoring Systems
- Monitoring Program
- Results and Presentation
- Survey Error
- Imprism (Piteau System)
Optimization of Slope Design - Best Practices
- Data Collection and Models Update
- Documentation and Back-Analysis
How to Register
To register yourself, click the 'Register Now' button and complete the online registration form.
To register on behalf of someone else, or to register groups of 2 or more, please contact us; discounts may apply.
Questions? Please contact EduMine: +1 604 683 2037 or [email protected] and we will get back to you during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time.
The full fee for the two day program is CAD 1,600 + 5% tax. The fee covers the lecture, a comprehensive set of course notes, access to pre-course e-learning, a certificate of attendance, catered breakfasts and lunches incl. light refreshments. The fee does not cover accommodation.
Early Bird: there is a 10% discount if you register at least 30 days prior to the course start date. A 10% discount is offered for groups of 3 or more OR if you provide your Annual EduMine subscription User ID at time of registration. The maximum discount that can be applied is 20%.
The course will be held at InfoMine Inc, Vancouver, Canada, Suite 640 - 580 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC. Detailed arrival instructions will be sent to all participants 10-14 days prior to the commencement of the course.
If you need to make hotel reservations, we recommend the following hotels. Each hotel is within a 5-15 minute walking distance of the course venue and provides convenient access to transportation and 'Canada Line' rapid transit to/from Vancouver International Airport.
When making reservations make sure to ask for the "InfoMine corporate rate".
- Executive Hotel Le Soleil, named by Resorts & Great Hotels Magazine as "One of the Top 100 Hotels in the World," has been recipient of the American Automobile Association's (AAA) 4-Diamond rating since its opening. Executive Hotel Le Soleil differentiates itself with a unique mixture of stylish sophistication and old world elegance. Featuring 119 luxury boutique lodging accommodations, it is conveniently located across the street from the InfoMine/EduMine offices. Experience Copper Chimney restaurant's award winning chefs and enter into an exotic world of Indian fusion food.
The Hotel Le Soleil's website is: http://www.hotellesoleil.com.
- Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver: make yourself at home in one of the Metropolitan Hotel's 197 elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites. Enjoy the Metropolitan's 24-hour Business Center; fully-equipped Health Club with indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, and squash court; and the Diva at the Met restaurant, a AAA 4-Diamond rated restaurant featuring Vancouver's finest cuisine, celebrated Chef's table, and distinguished wine cellar. The Metropolitan has received a "4 Green Keys" rating through the Green Key Eco-Rating Program.
To book your room online with our personal InfoMine corporate rate link go to: http://private.metropolitan.com/VDZKNSEDL2.
The Metropolitan Hotel's website is: http://www.metropolitan.com/vanc/.
- Vancouver�s most art-full hotel, the Listel Hotel is a cultural tourist�s dream and a showcase for eco-friendly practices. Packed with original art, this 129 room boutique hotel boasts comfortable, contemporary furnishings and a perfect location in the West End, the city�s most eclectic shopping and dining neighbourhood. The hotel is also home to Forage, a pioneer in sustainable restaurant operations and home to Chef Chris Whittaker�s award-winning farm-to-table fare. Forage is known for its small plate dining and BC wine and craft beer on tap.
The Listel Hotel's website is: http://www.thelistelhotel.com.
- Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel: experience the modern comforts of the historic full-service business hotel located in the core of downtown Vancouver. Their West Coast hospitality will ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Discover true value at the Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel as they provide FREE Wireless Internet, Bottled Water / Tea & Small Business Center. InfoMine�s corporate rate includes $10.00 breakfast voucher, best available room at check-in, Day Pass to Health and Fitness Centre around the corner.
The Days Inn Downtown's website is: http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/.
For further information about hotels in Downtown Vancouver, see the following website: http://www.hotels-vancouver.ca/hotels/Downtown.
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a short course registration form, you agree to pay the associated fees in full before the course start date.
Notice of cancellation must be given in writing by letter, fax or email and action will be taken to recover, from the delegates or their employers, that portion of the fee owing at the time of cancellation.
A 10% administration fee will be levied for cancellations made 10 or more business days prior to the first day of the course. Cancellations thereafter will be liable for the loss of the full fee.
EduMine reserves the right to cancel an advertised course on short notice. It will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible, but will not accept liability for costs incurred by participants or their organisations as a result of the course being cancelled or postponed. If a course is cancelled, fees will be refunded in full. EduMine also reserves the right to postpone or make such alterations to the content of a course as may be necessary.