Health and safety impacts of conflict, violence and human-rights abuse linked to security operations: these are some of the most severe outcomes that extractive industries face in international communities. In addition to their human toll, they can cause significant damage to company reputation worldwide. International attention focuses on these risks through International Finance Corporation Performance Standard 4 on Community Health, Safety and Security; the Equator Principles; and the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR). However, managing them can be a serious challenge for operations managers and corporate directors due to gaps in knowledge and best practices.
This course will:
- Share leading practices associated with: strategic social management; security and human rights, and; community health and safety.
- Examine underappreciated drivers of conflict and community health impacts.
- Explore the linkage between community safety and company security.
- Examine critical due diligence processes and assessments associated with community health, safety and security.
Monkey Forest Consulting Ltd. is a leading social performance consultancy with practical experience in security, conflict, safety and health management in the extractive and natural resource industries in some of the most challenging places in the world. With the Norman B. Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering, a world leader in education and professional development for the extractive industries, the course will combine pragmatic real-world application and a solid theoretical basis.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Registered participants who attend the entire short course and complete an evaluation at the end of the course will receive a Certificate of Attendance, confirming the Professional Development Hours (PDH)/Continuing Education Units (CEU) earned. Please confirm with your employer and/or professional association that this course qualifies for CPD.
Who Should Attend?
This course is appropriate for management-level extractive industry professionals who need to effectively identify and manage risk, and want to create opportunities for mutual benefits for company and community. The target audience includes but is not limited to: health and safety managers, social performance managers (CSR, external relations, community relations), operations managers, Human Resources managers, construction managers, and administrative/finance managers.
Instruction will take place from Sunday to Tuesday, October 20–22, 9:00am to 5:00pm on all three days. A lunch break will occur from 12:00-1:00pm and 30 minute coffee breaks will be offered mid-morning (10:15-10:45am) and mid-afternoon (3:15-3:45pm) each day.
This interactive course will cover the following topics:
- Strategic social management.
- Using the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR) framework to manage security and human rights risks.
- Managing community health and safety.
- Due diligence and assessments for health, safety and security.
How to Register
To register yourself, click the ‘Register Now’ button and complete the online registration form.
To register on behalf of someone else, or to register groups of 2 or more, please contact us; discounts may apply.
Questions? Please contact EduMine: +1 604 683 2037 or [email protected] and we will get back to you during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time.
The full fee for the three day program is CAD 3,100 + tax. The fee covers the lecture, a comprehensive set of course notes, a certificate of attendance, and catered breakfast and lunches including light refreshments. The fee does not cover accommodation.
Early Bird: there is a 10% discount if you register at least 30 days prior to the course start date. A 10% discount is offered for groups of 3 or more OR if you provide your Annual EduMine subscription User ID at time of registration. The maximum discount that can be applied is 20%.
The course will be held at InfoMine Inc, Vancouver, Canada, Suite 640 - 580 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC. Detailed arrival instructions will be sent to all participants 10-14 days prior to the commencement of the course.
If you need to make hotel reservations, we recommend the following hotels. Each hotel is within a 5-15 minute walking distance of the course venue and provides convenient access to transportation and 'Canada Line' rapid transit to/from Vancouver International Airport.
When making reservations make sure to ask for the "InfoMine corporate rate".
- Executive Hotel Le Soleil, named by Resorts & Great Hotels Magazine as "One of the Top 100 Hotels in the World," has been recipient of the American Automobile Association's (AAA) 4-Diamond rating since its opening. Executive Hotel Le Soleil differentiates itself with a unique mixture of stylish sophistication and old world elegance. Featuring 119 luxury boutique lodging accommodations, it is conveniently located across the street from the InfoMine/EduMine offices. Experience Copper Chimney restaurant's award winning chefs and enter into an exotic world of Indian fusion food.
The Hotel Le Soleil's website is: http://www.hotellesoleil.com.
- Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver: make yourself at home in one of the Metropolitan Hotel's 197 elegantly appointed guestrooms and suites. Enjoy the Metropolitan's 24-hour Business Center; fully-equipped Health Club with indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna, and squash court; and the Diva at the Met restaurant, a AAA 4-Diamond rated restaurant featuring Vancouver's finest cuisine, celebrated Chef's table, and distinguished wine cellar. The Metropolitan has received a "4 Green Keys" rating through the Green Key Eco-Rating Program.
To book your room online with our personal InfoMine corporate rate link go to: http://private.metropolitan.com/VDZKNSEDL2.
The Metropolitan Hotel's website is: http://www.metropolitan.com/vanc/.
- Vancouver’s most art-full hotel, the Listel Hotel is a cultural tourist’s dream and a showcase for eco-friendly practices. Packed with original art, this 129 room boutique hotel boasts comfortable, contemporary furnishings and a perfect location in the West End, the city’s most eclectic shopping and dining neighbourhood. The hotel is also home to Forage, a pioneer in sustainable restaurant operations and home to Chef Chris Whittaker’s award-winning farm-to-table fare. Forage is known for its small plate dining and BC wine and craft beer on tap.
The Listel Hotel's website is: http://www.thelistelhotel.com.
- Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel: experience the modern comforts of the historic full-service business hotel located in the core of downtown Vancouver. Their West Coast hospitality will ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. Discover true value at the Days Inn Downtown Vancouver Hotel as they provide FREE Wireless Internet, Bottled Water / Tea & Small Business Center. InfoMine’s corporate rate includes $10.00 breakfast voucher, best available room at check-in, Day Pass to Health and Fitness Centre around the corner.
The Days Inn Downtown's website is: http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/.
For further information about hotels in Downtown Vancouver, see the following website: http://www.hotels-vancouver.ca/hotels/Downtown.
For further information about hotels in Downtown Vancouver, see the following link: http://www.hotels-vancouver.ca/hotels/Downtown
Terms and Conditions
By submitting a short course registration form, you agree to pay the associated fees in full before the course start date.
Notice of cancellation must be given in writing by letter, fax or email and action will be taken to recover, from the delegates or their employers, that portion of the fee owing at the time of cancellation.
A 10% administration fee will be levied for cancellations made 10 or more business days prior to the first day of the course. Cancellations thereafter will be liable for the loss of the full fee.
EduMine reserves the right to cancel an advertised course on short notice. It will endeavour to provide participants with as much notice as possible, but will not accept liability for costs incurred by participants or their organisations as a result of the course being cancelled or postponed. If a course is cancelled, fees will be refunded in full. EduMine also reserves the right to postpone or make such alterations to the content of a course as may be necessary.