Underground Mine Backfill 1 - Introduction is the first in a set of two Underground Mine Backfill courses. This course is intended as an introduction to mine backfill properties, types, uses, mining methods and system layout. Underground Mine Backfill 2 - Slurry, Paste and Rock Fills reviews each backfill type and its preparation, distribution, stope preparation and placement practices as well as relevant safety and quality control issues. A review quiz can be found at the end of each section to evaluate your understanding of the material presented.
The objective of the courses is to provide an overview of common underground mine backfill practices and technologies for mine technical personnel. The goals are to:
- Provide a standard from which operators can understand the basic principles and practices for using underground mine backfill.
- Provide an understanding of how critical the role of backfill and backfill personnel are for mining.
- Provide a common foundation for backfill training.
- Provide a uniform backfill terminology.
- Provide an understanding of the various stages of backfill systems.
- Provide an understanding of potential hazards to personnel and equipment safety in order to prevent backfill-related accidents.
As many companies have site- and company-specific standards for their unique situations, training for specific operational duties is beyond the scope of this course and is left to mine site-training procedures. This course is not intended to replace existing mine training practices, but to complement them as a common reference.
Underground Mine Backfill 1 consists of 15 viewing sessions of 30 - 60 minutes each with supporting figures, tables and examples, plus interactive course reviews. Course duration is equivalent to approximately 15 hours of viewing content.