Welcome to the Akyem Mine Campus

Sign In or Join Today

Enrolled Users

If you have already joined this campus, sign in below with your campus account.
Sign In

New Users

If you have been authorized to access this campus, click the button below to join and create your campus account. To find out more about campus access, please contact us.
Join Today

Welcome to Newmont Golden Ridge Resources Limited, the Akyem Mine Campus on Edumine.

Newmont acquired the Akyem Project following the acquisition of Normandy in 2002. Newmont initially owned 85 % of the Project with Kenbert owning the remaining 15 %. In 2007, Newmont negotiated and took over Kenbert’s shares becoming a 100 % owner.

The project is located at Yaayaso near New Abirem, the district capital of the Birim North District in the Eastern Region of Ghana. It is about 154 km and a three and half hours drive from the capital city, Accra. The project area covers approximately 21.56 square kilometers. The gold deposit, located in the Adjenua Bepo Forest Reserve, covers about 13 % of the forest and is estimated at 1.45 square kilometers.

The Akyem Mine poured its first gold in October 2013, and achieved a commercial production in November 2013. Gold production is expected to be approximately 350,000 to 450,000 ounces per year for the first five years of the Mine’s operating life of approximately 16 years.

Akyem MineAkyem MineAkyem Mine