Belts are flexible components used to transmit power when the driver shaft and the driven shaft are at a distance from one another. Belt drives are simpler and cheaper than gear drives. The elasticity of the belt helps absorb shocks and vibrations and makes power transmission quieter.
This course covers the various categories of belts and pulleys, the principles of belt drives, the assembly and disassembly of a belt drive system, and the operating problems with belt drives as well as their causes and corrective measures.
Topics covered in this course include:
- belt and slat conveyors and their uses,
- chain conveyors and their uses,
- single-chain conveyors and their uses,
- causes of failure,
- inspection and maintenance of conveyors,
- conveyor-belt alignment, and
- suggestions for practical exercises.